Monroe County Government
Election Central

401 W. 7th Street, Suite 100
Bloomington, Indiana


For assistance, call our office at 


or email us at

You have the Right to Vote in Monroe County if:
  • You are both a U.S. citizen and a resident of Indiana; and

  • You will be at least 18 years of age on or before the next General or Municipal Election, and

  • You are not currently in prison after being convicted of a crime; and

  • You have lived in the precinct where you vote for at least 30 days prior to the election; and

  • You are registered to vote in Monroe County.
Indiana Law requires that voters who go to the Polls through early voting or Election Day must present a State or Federally issued ID.  

Voters who vote by mail or by travel board do not require an ID.  

If you have any questions about what is accepted ID click here.


Public Law 109-2005 requires Indiana residents to present a government-issued photo ID before casting a ballot at the polls on Election Day.

Your photo ID must meet 4 criteria to be acceptable for voting purposes. it must: 

1. Display your photo.

2. Display your name and the name must conform to your voter registration record. Conform does not mean identical. Below are examples of names that would conform to "Robert John Crew."

Robert John Crew

Robert J. Crew

Robert Crew

R. John Crew

R. J. Crew

Bob John Crew

Bob J. Crew

Bob Crew

John Crew

J. Crew

3. Display an expiration date and either be current or have expired sometime after the date of the last General Election. (November 6, 2018)

NOTE: An ID issued by the US Department of Defense, a branch of the uniformed services, the Merchant Marine, or the Indiana National Guard is not required to have an expiration date, or may state that the document has an "Indefinite" expiration date.

4. Be issued by the State of Indiana or the U.S. government.

In most cases, an Indiana driver license, Indiana photo ID card, Military ID or U.S. Passport is sufficient.

A student ID from an Indiana state school may only be used if it meets all of the 4 criteria specified above.

 A student ID from a private institution may not be used for voting purposes. For more Information for college students, click here.

If you are unable or unwilling to present ID meeting these requirements, you may cast a provisional ballot. If you cast a provisional ballot, you have until noon 10 days after the election to follow up with the county election board and either provide the necessary documentation or affirm that one of the law’s exemptions applies to you.

A non-SecureID driver's license will allow you to drive and vote. a non-SecureID identification card will allow you to vote.

How do I get an ID?

Are there exemptions?

For information on absentee voting, click here.
Who is Running for Office?
To find out who is running for office, click here, then select Who is on the Ballot.
Find my Polling Place
To find your polling location, click here.